Below are illustrated examples of ‘Improved Sanitation Technologies’.
Such improvements include lining of open pits, replacing pole slabs with concrete (easier to clean) slabs, Ventilated Improved Pit (VIP) latrines, the spiral-constructed latrine walls, alternating compost and urine diversion (Ecosan) latrines.
How to use Rural Card Set 10. ‘Improved Sanitation/Sanitation Technologies’
METHOD: MATCH UP
- Select only the cards which are applicable in your area/country. Add other pictures/designs if necessary.
- Important to know: Are your participants ‘washers’ or ‘wipers’?
- Discuss which types of anal cleaning methods and materials are used in the area.
- Hold up each picture and ask which anal cleaning material can be used for this technology.
- Of the suitable options, discuss pros and cons of each in terms of cost, maintenance, ownership, cleanliness, fly control and convenience.